Run Time

Posted by Eric Rogers 
Run Time
April 22, 2008 03:44PM
I'm sure this is a stupid question but can someone tell me how I can find out how much run time a DVD has if I have multiple short projects I'm burning to one disc? I have about 50 projects on one DVD that range from 20 seconds to 10 minutes and I can't figure out how to tell how long the entire runtime of all of them are without sticking them all in the same timeline.
Re: Run Time
April 24, 2008 10:14AM
How about adding the total time up? How else would you get that figure?

Just be sure you understand that there is really only 4.37 GB of actual data storage on a DVD-5 disc, not 4.7GB as advertised on the package.

You can usually get up to 2 hours of quality video/audio onto a DVD-5.
April 24, 2008 12:31PM
>Just be sure you understand that there is really only 4.37 GB of actual data storage on a DVD-5
>disc, not 4.7GB as advertised on the package.

John, is the extra space used for other assets like menus, subtitles, etc?
April 24, 2008 06:55PM
No the difference between 4.37 and 4.7 is the same as initializing a 250 GB hard drive and only getting 225GB of usable space. It has to do with the way a computer calculate a megabyte of bits.

Disk manufacturers insist that a megabyte is 1000x 1000 bytes. Computers calculate storage sizes in 2's complement math (IE: 1-2-4-8-16-32-64...) This gives you 1024 x 1000 bytes to a megabyte. less actual storage than the manufacturer says.

This is the same for all mountable media on a Mac or PC or any other operating system.
April 24, 2008 08:16PM
Ah that! Thanks for reminding. Hmm... How do you usually budget space for menus? Most of the stuff i do doesn't require a menu.
April 25, 2008 08:25AM
All video, menus and audio must fit in the 4.37 GB of a DVD-5. In cases where that is not possible then going DVD-9 (dual/double layer) is appropriate.

Menu's generally take up very little actual space as they are usually jpgs. It's the MPEG-2 video and audio. BTW - That is also why .ac3 Dolby audio is recommended for DVD's.
May 07, 2008 08:12AM
So I guess this means that DVD Studio Pro does not currently have a function that gives total run time.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics