Upgrade video card in G4 for Motion

Posted by James Hecht 
I want to upgrade the AGP Card in my G4 2x 1.25 mirror door mac to run motion. I got an ATI Radeon 9800Pro Mac edition w 128 MB DDR and AGP 4x/ 2x, and it doesn?t fit, it has the wrong tab configuration. I saw a post referring to running the Mac special edition 9800 card in a G4, which does have the same tabs at my current card; however it is an 8x card. Who has a 4x card with 128 MB DDR, and with 2 GB of ram will I run Motion at a decent speed.

Re: Upgrade video card in G4 for Motion
June 18, 2005 03:38PM
James,

I have a Dual 1 Ghz G4 / 1.5 Gig RAM / ATI Radeon 9800Pro Mac Edition / 128 MB / AGP 4x-2x and it fits & works just fine (I have a dual monitor set-up). I can't understand why the card would not fit unless you have the "Mac Special Edition" which is for G5 only. Here's my card:

[www.ati.com]

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 18, 2005 03:47PM
" Who has a 4x card with 128 MB DDR"

Check out www.buy.com for the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition (not the Pro Special Mac Edition). This is where I got mine a while back for my Quicksilver 2002 dual 1.0 GHz G4 to run Motion.

I paid like $300 at the time but I saw that it has come down in price to under $200.
Thank you for your help. My current card looks like the MAC RADEON 9000PRO 128M AGP Card with 3 large tabs and 1 small tab. the 9800Pro Mac Edition card I purchased has 3 large tabs and no small tab. Does your 9800Pro Mac Edition have 3 0r 4 tabe. Sorry for the confusion, I just want a fast card.
June 18, 2005 07:48PM
Sorry, but my card is installed and was about when Motion 1.0 first came out.

I first ordered the Special Edition card which ONLY works in a G5, but found that out the hard way. Finally the card I mentioned above replaced the current video card in my dual 1.0 GHz Mac perfectly.

Don't know how to tell you except that it clearly says on the outside of the ATI packaging. 4x AGP slot vs 8x in the G5 AGP slot.

Keep in mind that this replacement card does not have an ADC connector so you must also spend another $100 for the Apple DVI -ADC converter box or equivalent.
June 19, 2005 01:36AM
you shouldn't need the small tab
have you tried installing it?

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
I had this exact same problem and it turned out that the mac reseller store that I bought it from just ordered the "Mac radeon 9800" from Apple. They sell the OEM G5 only version to resellers but just market it as a Mac Radeon 9800. Did it come in the ATI pretty coloured box? or was it just in a brown cardboard box from apple?
The reseller I bought it from was good enough to absorb the hit, took the old one back, and purchase the real one (not OEM) from ATI.
July 04, 2005 12:11PM
Description: ATI Technologies RADEON 9800 PRO MAC EDITION 4x/2x AGP Ultra High Performance Dual Head Video Card W/ DVI, VGA and S-Video Ports, 128MB. New, for PowerMac G4s, with 3yr ATI Warranty.
Price: $248.99

It was an ATI Package, I got It from Other World Computers, It was listed as compatable with my Mac, and when I asked them why they listed it as compatabele all I got was a form letter and a 15% restocking fee. I got the ATI 9000 Pro in the exchange. It was frustrating trying to figure out which card would work, all the video card discriptions are aimed at video gamers. Thanks for your attention. James

Never give up, there is always a solution
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics