MOTION2 vs. SHAKE4

Posted by Televisionworks 
MOTION2 vs. SHAKE4
May 29, 2006 05:58PM
Hi there,
I am new to Motion2 and I am learning as fast and as much as I can.
As I am going thru the learning curve I 'm starting to see the flows of Motion2.
The software is very powerfull but I am not to happy about the billion sub menues for every task. For some reason Motion2 could be improve drastically in it's interface.
The question I have is:
Does the workings on Shake 4 (overall) better (root tree instead of timeline)
than Motion2 ???
Is it worth paying 3000$ over 300$ ?
Is it the same in general or the compositing features of Shake blows Motion away?
I have not have the chance to work with Shake yet so I like to know your expert opinions!
Thank you!

I must report to my surprise I have crash several times with motion2 and does not seem too stable. Have a Quad G5 4 Gigs of RAM.

Daniel Postan
www.televisionworks.net

Televisionworks
Re: MOTION2 vs. SHAKE4
May 29, 2006 06:25PM
Motion is a motion graphics application. Shake is a visual effects application. While there is some overlap in compositing features, they are different tools for different jobs.
May 29, 2006 07:20PM
That's the thing... sometimes I have a foot in the boat and sometimes in the dock...
Motion is what we have right now but we could develop more compositing business... but as you said there's an overlaping of features so could Shake do all of Motion too or not?
Dan

Televisionworks
May 29, 2006 09:40PM
No, not at all - for example, you can't do text animation in Shake. Really, completely different app for different purpose: primarily visual effects for film, vs. Motion, primarily TV bumpers, intros, DVD menus.
May 30, 2006 11:25AM
I've got both & use both, each overlap slightly in capabilities but they are completely different apps.

Pick up Marco Paolini's Shake book and you can get a free shake trial.

Peter
June 08, 2006 08:21PM
Check out "Conduit" from dvGarage. It's a node based plug in made specifically for Motion. It adds Shake-like compositing in Motion and in real-time. Way cool.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
June 08, 2006 08:43PM
I don't think they've gone public with it yet - still in beta - at least I don't see anything on the site - pixelcorps only right now
June 21, 2006 08:15PM
Hiya Dan,

I too have a Quad / 4.5 Gigs of RAM and an NVidia GeForce 7800 GT. Motion locks up on me / slows down often. I don't use it for full projects because of the sluggishness of it. I use Motion as kind of a big "plug-in" to develop & render elements that I composite into After Effects Pro 7. Motion is a GREAT compliment to After Effects Pro.

The people / facilities I personally know using Shake are more into high end film work. I don't even know anyone in my small market that currently uses it (Central Florida). After Effects is the Industry Standard where I am. I used Digital Fusion for a while (node based tree app)...didn't like it.

Motion is $299 - Shake is (was) $2999 (now $499...but is at the "End Of Life" - which means no more updates will be developed for it, so I am told).

There is no "Motion2 vs. Shake" because they are totally different in their duties. The "overlap" between these two programs is so infinitesimal, it's almost not there. If you want to add compositing power to your facility that can handle TONS of FX / Motion tracking / Stabilization / HDRI 32-Bit colorspace / unreal selection of plug-ins / workspaces up to film resolution, there is no better app than the Industry Standard Broadcast Motion Graphics / Compositing application - After Effects Professional 7, (IMHO - and I do not work for Adobe):

[www.adobe.com]

Still a MAJOR STEAL at $999

- Joey

Post Edited (06-21-06 18:34)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics