Optical Flow on Round Trip - analyzing the entire reel

Posted by J.Corbett 
Optical Flow on Round Trip - analyzing the entire reel
January 21, 2009 05:22PM
When sending a clip from FCP to Motion 3 to use the optical flow in Motion, does Motion analyze the entire clip from my FCP browser?

I have a 4 second 26 frame clip that I sent to Motion that was showing 29,000+ frames to analyze. I do not use Optical Flow much but I am somewhat sure that it is analyzing the entire reel.

My sequence is DV NTSC anamorphic.

The method that I used to send this clip to motion was:

1. Select clip on the TL and loaded it into the viewer
2. Went into the motion tab and opened the 'Time Remap' section and set the speed to 50%
3. Right clicked the the clip on the TL and chose "send to Motion"

Once in Motion I went to the 'properties tab' and opened the 'timing pane' and chose 'optical flow'.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Optical Flow on Round Trip - analyzing the entire reel
January 21, 2009 05:47PM
Optical flow analyses the whole captured clip, not just the part you're using in the timeline.

And please don't confuse "reel" with "clip". They're 2 very different things.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 21, 2009 06:21PM
Yep that is correct- optical flow always analyzes the entire piece of original media no matter where you put your in/out. So you would want to export just the portion you want to use with maybe a 1-2 second handle and reimport and analyze that.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
January 21, 2009 06:31PM
I'm not even remotely clear on the rationale for using optical-flow retiming on DV footage. That's not going to look acceptable no matter what you do.

January 21, 2009 07:46PM
It can look pretty decent on DV actually. Not ideal by any means but totally usable in most respects.

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
January 21, 2009 08:13PM
Corbett,

Even though you are exporting from FCP...this is a Motion question. Please post Motion questions in the Motion forum.

Thank you.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 21, 2009 08:29PM
Thank for the help.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
January 21, 2009 08:34PM
strypes

Would I be able to call the tape from my camera a reel or would that term be restricted to referring to a film reel only?

""""
January 22, 2009 09:06AM
If i were you i would call a tape a tape, a reel a reel and a clip a clip... kinda makes life easier winking smiley
January 22, 2009 09:45AM
You Betcha.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics