OT, am i just a bonehead?

Posted by wayne granzin 
OT, am i just a bonehead?
January 05, 2006 01:05PM
ok, im told there is a way to get the mac OS to open all folders in column view. anyone know how to accomplish this? im sick to death of windows opening to friggn icon view!!! im probably killing 5 min a day, just toggeling view modes...
Re: OT, am i just a bonehead?
January 05, 2006 01:15PM
Hm ... I found it right there in Finder ->Preferences -> Open new window in column view (checkbox)

Those might not be the exact terms because I'm on a german system ...
January 05, 2006 01:19PM
nope, that doesnt do it. never has and thats why im confused...
January 05, 2006 01:27PM
That is the prescribed way to do it - it works for me...

However windows that you have previously opened will retain the icon/list/column view depending on what was last selected.

ie: Finder ->Preferences -> Open new window in column view "ticked"

if I open up a new window it should be column but if I had opened it previously and I set the view to icons then it would open up icons NOT column.

Try opening up all your drives and set to column view after you have set your prefs then everything from then on will (or should) be hunky dorey!

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 05, 2006 01:32PM
yeah, i did that and its as its always been - some open in column, others in icon.

no matter WHAT i DO, the main Macintosh HD upper right icon ALWAYS opens in icon view
Anonymous User
January 05, 2006 01:43PM
Same here. Its baffled me to no end too. I trashed my finder prefs and it worked for awhile and then it was some worked and some didnt

January 05, 2006 01:50PM
im glad that im not the only one experiencing the sporadic-ness of the situation... i thought i was just becomming senile at 36!!!!!!
January 05, 2006 05:35PM
No, I encounter that as well. Freakin' annoying. At least learning the shortcuts (APPLE-2 for List View, my favourite, or APPLE-3 for Column View) helped, but I still have to arrange things the way I like -- File Size first, Date Modified second. Apple really needs to put a feature like FCP's "Save Column Layout" and "Save Window Layout" into OSX.
January 05, 2006 08:44PM
I'm an Apple 3 man, myself. Yes, this should be a user preference in OS X for sure.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
January 05, 2006 09:45PM
Works for me, but I don't have the drives shown on my desktop (I'd never find them between all the crap on the desktop anyway ...), I just use the finder symbol in the Dock. That, as well as Apple-N in the finder always brings up column view.
January 05, 2006 10:59PM
Try opening up a drive, or folder, and then switching to another view mode, then closing the window, without doing anything else. This works for me at least, but only on a folder by folder basis.

- Justin Barham -
January 06, 2006 10:37AM
I've discovered that there is a difference in how you close out the window. If you use Apple W to close the window, the position and style of the window will not "update". However, if you use the red button in the upper left to close the window, those changes will "stick".

Hope this helps.

Mark
January 06, 2006 11:20AM
Hmm, that's not true in my experience. Though it's annoying to have to re-arrange the layout every time I create a new folder, once the changes are made, that folder is okay until you change the settings yourself, regardless of how you close the window.
January 06, 2006 02:28PM
Ok, I'm just going to say it. It's a broken feature that's never worked as it should. I hate to say it, but if I'm on a Windows machine, and I apply the Details view to all folders in the Options menu, then it works. It's always worked, and I didn't have to go back and reopen all the windows I've opened before to make sure they're in the right view.

Surely if Bill Gates can figure out how to do that, Apple can.

Maybe by OS XX?

Andy

PS: I can get it to work on my Mac, but the changes only last until I shut down. When I restart, it's like it never happened.
January 09, 2006 11:54PM
Right...it never worked as it should. Is it all that bad? Is it worth losing sleep over? Is it worth throwing a hissy fit on a public forum? Is that going to fix it?

...no.

Maybe in OS XI (Litterbox), they will figure out how to open folders in column view before wayne starts throwin' rocks at school busses from the roof of his house winking smiley

Less coffee - more green tea.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 10, 2006 12:01AM
No bitching, no changes. Amen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics