DVCam vs DV

Posted by nancyblack 
DVCam vs DV
April 09, 2006 08:04PM
Given that the image quality is no better - what are the advantages of using DVCam? My current deck - a Panasonic NVDV 2000 - doesn't support DVCAm and I don't particularly want to use my PD 170 as a deck. I'm not shooting long movies - mainly just video stuff for theatre productions.
Re: DVCam vs DV
April 09, 2006 08:27PM
DV and DVCAM are the same except that DVCAM uses a metal oxide tape and runs faster so that it only gives you a total of 40 minutes per MiniDV cassette.

Just use DV for uniformity.
April 09, 2006 09:10PM
DVCam tapes are a bit more durable and tend to have fewer capture problems. In my experience, though, the difference is small. Like John says, I wouldn't worry about it. Do NOT ever mix the two recording modes, DVCam and MiniDV, on the same tape, however -- this will seriously mess up your timecode and possibly result in picture glitches.
April 09, 2006 10:06PM
I don't know anything about the technical differences in the resulting picture quality. I've read on this forum a remark though that indicated the faster tape speed of the DVCAM resulted in a better picture. My first use of the DVCAM mode on my Sony Z1U camera produced a picture that I found more beautiful than the MiniDV movies I'd made. Now, I admit this was not a professional test, just a subjective impression. But I feel that the DVCAM is better. Is there anything technical that can support this feeling?
April 09, 2006 10:22PM
Nope. DVCAM is exactly, bit-for-bit, the same quality as DV. It is more robust against dropout, but that's it.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
DM
April 09, 2006 11:20PM
The pro version of mini-dv. Much better for tape dropout and handling problems. the track width is larger with DVCAM. There are other post features that DVCAM supports that mini-dv does not. Look at the manual for any Sony DVCAM deck that supports mini-dv and DVCAM. You'll see the differences. If I had the $$, I would shoot and edit DVCAM exclusively. That's what the broadcasters use in the field and that's what the US Army uses (PD-170). Mini-dv is an off shoot of DVCAM developed to capture the consumer market.
April 10, 2006 12:19AM
Well - check out the replies I had to my query - not a one would agree with you, and I have to say, the Sony man said the same thing as the helpful guys who replied. But DVCam does protect you against dropouts - it has a stronger signal.
This forum is so great!
April 10, 2006 04:41AM
DVCam cameras are generally better than Consumer miniDV ones.

so while they might produce better pics, it;s because they have better LENSES , or 3 chips rather than 1, or more lines of resolution, etc.

using the same camera you'll see no quality difference at all between DVCam & miniDV.

so given your situation you should shoot DV so you can capture it with your deck.
makes sense.

but when you OUTPUT, it might be a good idea to Master onto DVCAM using your camera.
i don't know what sort of timecode functionality you have on the camera,
but my DSR11 DvCam deck can read external TC, meaning i can make frame accurate Masters (starting at a specified TC)

sometimes, though, i'm outputting to a tape that is then immediately bumped up to Digibeta, so the DV Master doesn't need to be a "true" master in that it doesn't need to have longevity, which is what DVCam would offer, i think.
Still it looks better when i hand over one of those nice blue DVCam boxes smiling smiley

cheers,
nick

April 10, 2006 07:45AM
Actually, DV came first. Then Panasonic made DVCpro which captured many news stations, so SOny brought out their more robust version of DV, DVCAM.

Remember, picture quality is same, robustness against dropouts improves with DVCAM.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
DM
April 10, 2006 08:35AM
Forgot to mention to tape record/play times. Max on mini-dv is 80 minutes. DVCAM offers twice the record time, half the record time and casette lengths in between. Could be critical for longer shows. Ever sweat running out of tape? And Nick is right, check out the camera's that support DVCAM. Much better build. They treat mini-dv as an option. That little tape just scares me. It's as delicate as DAT and lord knows those tapes are full of suprises. I've had my share of dropouts when recording shows (even with good maintainance practices) so you better have something else to cut to.
April 10, 2006 09:24AM
Mini-DV is max 60 minutes and the same size DVCAM tape is 40 minutes. Larger DVCAM cameras can use the large format 184 minute tape, for sure. It can still be shoot in either DV or DVCAM. The more you pay for a camera the better lenses and electronics you will get. The $5K to $8K DVCAM cameras have a very nice 4:3 SD picture, but that is now OLD technology.
April 10, 2006 11:43AM
The Sony Z1 shoots 16:9 in DVCAM also. I think drop outs are a big problem. I've had drop outs galore with MiniDV, especially after the tapes have been sitting around for several years. So far it's only been mostly sound drop outs. I feel the DVCAM tapes might last a bit longer -- I don't know...
April 10, 2006 01:54PM
Hi All

The way the station tech explained it to
me was that DVCam was developed for use
in Linear tape to tape editing--
Non linear was still fairly new at the time-

DVcam also has locked audio -
so audio will not drift -

Basic info on the tape is the same--
info is written at slightly differert pitch

error correction can be better
with DVcam also --

This is something I found out
about how Tape is made--

Bulk tape is made in a long wide sheet
From this sheet Many tapes are cut-

The individual tapes are graded by
there location on the bulk sheet--

The highest grade tapes come from
the center of the sheet where the
partical distribution is supposed to be
the best ---

The tapes that are made from the edges
of the bulk sheet are the cheaper ones--

I have read that DVcam is better for
long term storage because magnetic issues --

I have had really good luck with both --

The Main thing I have learned is Not to
Mix Brands of tapes--

This has to do with different types of
lubercants used on the tapes-wet -dry--

This has supposed to have been standardized now-
but at the station I work at we get Lots of
different brands and grades of tapes
and it still is causing problems--

But maybe its just Old tapes being used
and mixed in with Newer tapes -- Jay--
April 10, 2006 10:23PM
I just want to say thanks to all of you who have responded so quickly and so informatively to my query! It's been fabulous. Thank you thank you! This forum is great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics