Printing contents of the Browser window

Posted by Kenneth Rogers 
Printing contents of the Browser window
April 23, 2006 08:57PM
How do I print an exact copy of the contents my Browser window has in it. I am wanting to print a copy of what the Browser window has in it exactly. I want to print the Browser window information with the contents it has in it. I want to print the Browser with the contents it has in it meaning the clips, pictures and music icons pictured on the printed page along with the other information that is in the Browser like what the Reel name is that a certain clip is associated with. I have tried copying the information of the Browser and putting it into a text application but all it does is print words not the icons and the other information the Browser window has in it. If one of you can help me with this I will be extatect with joy. My version of Final Cut Pro is 5.0 Academic. My model of MAC is iMAC G5 2Ghz PowerPC G5 processor. My RAM is 512MB DDR SDRAM. My brand of Hard Drive is 160 GB Serial ATA MATSHITADVD-R UJ-845

Post Edited (04-23-06 19:44)
Re: Printing contents of the Browser window
April 23, 2006 09:41PM
If you want all of it, including the icons, your best bet might be to go apple - shift - 3 to make a picture of the desktop. Then you can print from this document.

If you've got a lot in the browser, you may need to scroll down and then repeat the process to capture all the info.

Once you've done this, there should be one or a cuople of documents on your desktop called picture 1 and picture 2 and so on. These are the snapshots of your desktop. Open them and print away.

Post Edited (04-23-06 19:45)

April 24, 2006 12:09AM
You may wish to contact Andreas Kiel, a frequenter of this forum. He specializes in XMLs, and I'm fairly certain he wrote a program for this purpose -- exporting information from the Browser and Sequences. Here's a link:

[www.spherico.com]
April 24, 2006 12:11AM
Do us a favour, Kenneth -- just leave your posting as is. Every time you make a change, a message gets sent to the mods -- edit it enough times and we get mail-bombed.
April 24, 2006 02:03AM
Yeah, but an XML won't give you the "clips, pictures and music icons pictured on the printed page along with the other information that is in the Browser like what the Reel name is". It has to be a screenshot, I reckon.
April 24, 2006 10:45AM
"Hey, Jude,
don't make it bad"
(Sorry ;-) I had to use this salutation, because of your name, the song title, the current thread)
A screen shot really could be a bad idea - especially using cmd-shift-3, cmd-shift-4 and pressing space bar is the way better method, but: this might not capture all of the needed - or wanted- information unless you got a 40"x 40" or bigger screen or move and resize the browser window around until it works, it also will even not show film data in most cases and no multiclip data and many other things, additionally black text on dark blue-gray background is very difficult to read, also text can't be searched or copied.
An XML knows everything - sure except the pictures, but it knows how to get it - including the reel and all information about the reel (which you won't see in any screen shot) and with the information about multiclips and their sources, and where they are stored, the film data, the markers and their type, filters and keyframes and so on.

If it's about clips only, here an easier option - without using XML: create a browser column setup with those columns you need and then select all and export as a batch list. As said this will only handle the clips in the browser but no relations to bins, sequences etc. and won't include pictures.

Kind regards
Andreas

Post Edited (04-24-06 09:16)

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
April 24, 2006 12:19PM
Maybe the FCP authors could make the Print command more robust by allowing us to print various windows.

My big beef is the Effects window - all those powerful tools are there in tiny font size, and arranged how FCP wants them arranged, NOT as we users need them arranged (OK, so FCP is 90% right!)...

Being able to print out that window would at least allow me to write notes on paper about the effects (e.g. "Trapcode Shine = DaVinci Code" ) smiling smiley

Being able to print the Browser would help with media managing - especially if there were more people involved in working on a project than just me...

Being able to print out the timeline would help some people see the big picture (a banner of paper like a mural)...

Can I assume that FCP monitors this forum, so all of our self-help is perhaps influencing future revs? Or that someone from LAFCPUG sends them important user discoveries?

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
April 24, 2006 08:35PM
I think he lost interest. I think he might have lost interest. I ge tthe feeling that he might not be interested. winking smiley

I agree about the screenshot, Andreas, but he said he needed the icons, and there's not another way I know of to do this. Just make the browser as big as you can, take a shot, repostion, take another shot and so on. The reassemble into one big picture later, if you want.
April 24, 2006 08:37PM
nick,
re: effects window

control click on the background of the browser, or effects window,
chose Text Size: large (or whatever)

you CAN arrange the filters any which way you want *WITHIN THE FAVORITES BIN*

cheers,
nick

April 24, 2006 08:57PM
Hi other Nick -

Thank you for the context specific help.

I only wish the expensive Apple manuals could be as useful.

I wish Apple had saved $300 or so by not giving us those huge and expensive printed books, and instead some kind of searchable CD or web link...

... especially if the help could be accessed in context specific ways, half as useful as this Phorum.

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
April 24, 2006 09:17PM
well, the "Help" PDF is useful.

if it;s not useful ENOUGH, you might like the Intelligent Assistant:

[www.intelligentassistance.com]

very context specific.

cheers,
nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics