Problems saving audio file

Posted by shelleyrae 
Problems saving audio file
June 22, 2006 01:23PM
This is really a Soundtrack Pro question but I'm hoping I'll get a quicker response if I post this question here.

I have created an audio file in STP and done some repair work. Now I just want to output it to a wav file which should be simple enough but when I go "export with compressor" that option is grayed out. I've tried selecting the entire file but it's still grayed out. So I saved it as a wav file to my designated folder in Itunes. I selected "include source material." The file saved succesfully and I am able to drag the wav file to a disc and it burns sucessfully but will not play on anything. I have tried different burn speeds but that didn't work either. I even tried a different CD stock. The file always seems to burn succussfully and I can even see the burn on the disc, but I keep getting the "bad disc" notice when I try to play it anywhere.

I appreciate any help you can offer. I'm already a day late in delivery on this and not sure what else to try.

Shelleyrae
Re: Problems saving audio file
June 22, 2006 02:17PM
> The file saved succesfully and I am able to drag the wav file to a disc and
> it burns sucessfully but will not play on anything.
> The file always seems to burn succussfully and I can even see the burn on
> the disc, but I keep getting the "bad disc" notice when I try to play it
> anywhere

Sounds like you're trying to create an audio CD. When you drag a file onto a disc on the desktop, you're burning a data CD, not an audio CD. To make an audio CD, you have to use Toast Titanium, or the "Burn" function in iTunes, and even then the resulting disc may not play on all audio-CD players. That's the nature of computer-created discs.

> Now I just want to output it to a wav file which should be simple enough but
> when I go "export with compressor" that option is grayed out.

What are you trying to do? Is your file currently in Soundtrack Pro or Final Cut Pro? If you're trying to edit with it, FCP can handle .wav files, though if I had a choice I'd probably export from Soundtrack Pro as an AIFF instead. That can be burnt onto an audio CD using Toast or iTunes, or imported into FCP for editing purposes.
June 22, 2006 04:47PM
Derekmok,

You are right. The mistake I made was dragging the file to a CD without going through the Itunes burn feature. I went through the burn function of Itunes and it worked and I am able to play the CD on various players. Thanks.

>what am I trying to do?

The file is a Soundtrack Pro audio project. At first I tried to export using compressor -- File - Export - using compressor. But the three options under export (Tracks, Mix, Using compressor) were grayed out and I don't understand why I couldn't export the audio file using compressor rather than having to save it.

My client is asking for a wave file, but it seems FCP users prefer aiff format. What is the reason for this? Better quality? Aiffs play fine on most players, right?

Thanks again for your help.
June 22, 2006 05:46PM
> The file is a Soundtrack Pro audio project. At first I tried to export using
> compressor -- File - Export - using compressor. But the three options under
> export (Tracks, Mix, Using compressor) were grayed out and I don't
> understand why I couldn't export the audio file using compressor rather
> than having to save it.

I actually don't get why you're trying to go through Compressor. When I export my work in Soundtrack and Soundtrack Pro, I use Export - Export Mix. Works just fine. As for why it's greyed out, I'm guessing you have the wrong active window or the wrong object selected when you're trying to export.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics