easy ouput to DVD

Posted by deanwells 
easy ouput to DVD
December 17, 2006 10:51PM
Im not sure if im missing something here but FCP should have an easy way to export straight to DVD. In premiere its called "export to DVD" funnily enough, and I use it all the time>(when im o n premiere)
I dont want to think about interfcaces or chapters or compression.
just a basic export to dvd that makes an auto interface and does the compression on the fly...
Its needed for when a client wants to view an edit without coming into the studio, you want to send them a disc, it doesnt need an interface or even to be full quality.
Just a quick simple way to get a cheap transportable version on a disc that will play in any dvd player, thank you...

P.S. yes i already have a cheap dvd recorder patched through the system, but i want it in FCP too.
Re: easy ouput to DVD
December 17, 2006 11:51PM
...you said "cheap" twice in the same thread.

Since you use Premiere, that means you're on a PC and this is moot...but if you WERE on a Mac, export a QT Reference out of FCP & drag that into iDVD & burn it. iDVD will do the encoding. For client one-offs, it's the shiznit.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 18, 2006 12:42AM
Adobe Premiere has Mac editions too. At least, last I checked.

iDVD is fast if it doesn't hang up during the burn, and half of iDVD users get that sooner or later. I prefer DVD Studio Pro. Fast export of a still from the show for the menu, one button, one track. Can even skip the menu and buttons if necessary. Whoosh.

www.derekmok.com
December 18, 2006 01:21AM
Premiere hasn't been Mac since it became Premiere Pro.
December 18, 2006 02:23AM
grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...you said "cheap" twice in the same thread.
>
> Since you use Premiere, that means you're on a PC
> and this is moot...but if you WERE on a Mac,
> export a QT Reference out of FCP & drag that into
> iDVD & burn it. iDVD will do the encoding. For
> client one-offs, it's the shiznit.
>
> - Joey

Im a freelance editor who is also a mac fanatic.
However, every now and then a client uses premire or avid or some other windows based piece of crap that you just have to adapt to.
Premiere is actually pretty decent mind you.
And there are a few things, like export to dvd, that it actually does better.
(god forbid)
Ps... i dont want to export a file... thats the whole point.
premiere just does it straight to disc and doesnt write a file to the hard drive.
it also adds an interface.(just generic)
its really quick and simple and theres no exported file to deal with.
just a disc, that plays in any dvd player perfectly.
December 18, 2006 02:33AM
grafixjoe Wrote:
> ...you said "cheap" twice in the same thread.
>
> Since you use Premiere, that means you're on a PC
> and this is moot...but if you WERE on a Mac,
> export a QT Reference out of FCP & drag that into
> iDVD & burn it. iDVD will do the encoding. For
> client one-offs, it's the shiznit.
>
> - Joey

c'mon mate, I did say "(when Im using premiere)" isnt that enough explanation?
Anyway, Running a line through a "cheap" DVD recorder is much faster than
exporting and dragging into idvd and then burning.
I just want an even faster solution-ie direct export to disc form timeline.
December 18, 2006 09:21AM
The simple answer to your question is:

No.

Sure would be nice to have though, so maybe post it on the feature requests thread at the top of the forum list.

Clay
December 18, 2006 10:10AM
To be clear, the answer when using a Mac and either iMovie or FCE-FCP is you need to make a Quicktime file into an MPEG-2 file to go into a DVD conversion program that outputs a Video_TS folder than can be burned to a DVD disc.

Toast can take a Quicktime file and do the rest of the work but you get no control over the end product. The standard Apple answer is iDVD or DVD Studio Pro for assembling menu's and MPEG video and audio.

So, to answer the question, there is no one button to turn a video into a DVD in Apple Land!
December 18, 2006 04:35PM
When I do use iDVD to make a no-frills, no-menu DVD, I still get one of the menu templates in the project popping up and can't find a way to create a new project without the template.

The template-menu thing doesn't seem to show up on the actual DVD, but the template does seem to get processed as the DVD is being burned. Is this normal procedure, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

PC
December 18, 2006 06:04PM
John Foley Wrote:
> To be clear, the answer when using a Mac and
> either iMovie or FCE-FCP is you need to make a
> Quicktime file into an MPEG-2 file to go into a
> DVD conversion program that outputs a Video_TS
> folder than can be burned to a DVD disc.
>
> Toast can take a Quicktime file and do the rest of
> the work but you get no control over the end
> product. The standard Apple answer is iDVD or DVD
> Studio Pro for assembling menu's and MPEG video
> and audio.
>
> So, to answer the question, there is no one button
> to turn a video into a DVD in Apple Land!

Thanks for all the tips. Id just like to explain to everyone one more time.
I am well aware of the current situation and procedure for exporting a mov/ref mov to the hard drive then importing to idvd or dvdsp or toast. I have actually authored some complex dvds interfaces u may or may not have seen.My question is not about that. Its about a simple, real time burning to dvd from the timeline.
And I guess I was right in saying that FCP doesnt have it. Ive posted it on the new features ;list already. I was just wondering if there was a function that Id somehow missed.
Thanks.
December 18, 2006 08:06PM
We make a black 640x480 frame in photoshop and create a one to three second silent track in the audio package of our choice. Drop these in over the silly iDVD "theme" and it will go away. Then, when you drag the show QuickTime into the workspace, the filename will appear over black and will become a simple clicky. You can change the text to say anything you want--subject to the fonts available.

[T3 Scene 3, Temporary Comp, Color Tests 12/18/06]

Poof, a simple theme-free DVD.

Do Not make a DVD auto launch. That drives everybody nuts. "The Director isn't here yet. Can't you stop it?" "No, I can't stop it. The F$#%! thing keeps launching!"

Koz
December 18, 2006 08:40PM
Great tip.

Many thanks.

PC
December 19, 2006 08:02AM
Koz
We make a black 640x480 frame in photoshop and create a one to three second silent track in the audio package of our choice

You actually don't need to make the audio bit, Koz. You can just grab the 'speaker' icon in the audio well and drag it out. It will leave in a puff of smoke and silence will reign.

December 19, 2006 05:53PM
Just to save everyone a bit of time. I already know about exporting movs and making dvds in
idvd and dvdsp, etc.
I am talking about a real time way to burn a disc from the timeline.
Ive requested it in the features page too.
December 19, 2006 06:44PM
<<<I am talking about a real time way to burn a disc from the timeline. >>>

No.

Koz
December 19, 2006 06:47PM
I think the thread just drifted, Dean. You said several times what you wanted, but other people started wanting other things. smiling smiley Plus several people already said it wasn't possible.

December 19, 2006 08:25PM
Ok what is it.
Your post said your using idvd.
December 19, 2006 10:17PM
What is what? The answer? The answer is no. You can't output straight from the FCP timeline to DVD, unless you use a standalone DVD recorder and play out to that. Two other people have said the exact same thing already in this thread.

December 19, 2006 10:38PM
no worries. Sorry it went a bit off the rails. I thought koz was saying he had a way to do it.
I didnt realise he was quoting me. Again sorry, im just surprised people answered in the way they did. I thought i was clear about the situation, but I guess I wasnt.
I thought the bit about, " I already have a cheap dvd recorder running through tthe system"
would have stopped people from talking about exporting movies and using idvd and all the stuff
any novice would already know.
It was a genuine question with a yes or no answer. thATs it.
December 21, 2006 11:50AM
Most of us were trying really hard to help you based on the fact we all know you can't do it directly. Presenting alternatives.

Thread Wander never happens here. This is all your imagination.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics