QT upgrade

Posted by camshaft 
QT upgrade
March 08, 2007 05:52PM
Software Update pulled up a QuickTime update with the warning about QT Pro users. Do I need to worry about blowing anything out in FCP when updating? Is the warning for stand alone QuickTime?

Sorry, I'm not communicating well today. I know there is a more concise way to ask this.

Thanks

Cameron Young
Re: QT upgrade
March 08, 2007 06:20PM
If you are currently using QT 7.x, and it is Pro (which it is if you have installed FCS 5.x) then the warning means nothing. It does apply to those who are currently using QT Pro 6.x, and this upgrade would probably be a bad idea for them anyway considering potential unhappy interactions with mismatched QT, OS and FCP.

Not sure I'm communicating well either - how'd I do?

Scott
March 08, 2007 06:24PM
If you have Panther, FCP4.5 and QuickTime 6, Software Update will badger you to update to QuickTime 7. There have been stability problems reported from people who do that. The happy machines are those with Tiger, FCP5, and QT7. The most happiness results from clean installs.

In addition, even if you do everything right and get all the versions to hold hands, your license for QuickTime Pro is going to vanish when you go from QT6 to QT7. You will need to buy it again which is still highly recommended.

Koz
March 08, 2007 11:10PM
Just out of curiosity, Scott mentioned that if you have FCP 5x then you have Quicktime Pro. I have 5.1.2, so I didn't need to pay to upgrade Quicktime it was already Pro?
March 09, 2007 05:16AM
thats right QT Pro is part and parcel of FCP
March 09, 2007 11:35AM
In previous versions, Apple would provide a QT Pro key with FCP so you could manually enter the key, so it was pretty obvious. With 5, it's taken care of very quietly during FCP installation. To confirm it, go to QuickTime Player > Registration, and you'll see Registered to: Apple Pro Apps User, and the Registration Code will say Automatic, but grayed out.

Scott
March 10, 2007 12:28AM
That sucks.

I have 5.1.2 and wasn't aware of this and went ahead and purchase the pro upgrade, do you think they'll give me my money back?
March 10, 2007 01:54AM
I doubt it - I've bought several licences for QT pro even though I have FCP, because I need them for other computers, or I needed to upgrade QT before I upgraded FCP. There's no way of proving where you are using the licence, really.

Maybe just keep your other licence for use on another computer later?

March 11, 2007 06:01PM
This is a sanity check...... just installed a fresh system hard drive, installed Tiger and the FCP studio sans motion. Even without any programs running, this thing runs like a dying horse... or is that what you call a G-4 dual 1.25 w/2gbram sputtering to run Tiger??? this sux.
1. Is there anything to check or tweek?
2. or should I reboot on the ol 3.x

all-nighters generally produce visuals in slow motion while brain pretends to run at max speed.......

yer thoughts
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics