v6 Multiclip bugs

Posted by Andrew Kines 
v6 Multiclip bugs
August 03, 2007 04:24PM
I don't know if anyone out there has been using multiclip functions in vers 6 but it ain't good news.

We're having problems with moving media causing assembled multiclips to go completely out of sync. And this isn't even with clips that are giving the "timecode in or out must be changed" warning, which is another stupid feature in the new FCP. Arbitrary, inscrutable timecode changes? What world is someone living in where that's a good idea?

We're back to the media being a delicate little flower on the hard drives and the thought of even backing it up makes little sense because, relinking will just throw all the work out the window. I don't know if a batch re-dig will do the same thing but I can't test that now.

Can't say I have had a good experience with the pro, mission critical elements of FCP recently.
I would not want to be taking XMLs or EDLs out of house with anything out of FCP 6.

Anyone else out there using Multiclips or merged clips in a timecode sensitive world? Please prove me wrong... please.

Colour me cranky!
Re: v6 Multiclip bugs
August 03, 2007 05:23PM
Yes. We have been seeing some multiclip and merged clip oddities in my classes. I'm not sure what's going on exactly is it doesn't seem to happen always the same way.
August 03, 2007 06:39PM
[We're back to the media being a delicate little flower on the hard drives ]

Just don't water them!!

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Apply a default AUDIO transition with Command-Option-T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
April 23, 2008 01:26AM
I'm assisting on a HD feature and we've been having major problems with the multi clip function. Things were swimming along fine when I initially brought in the clips and created the multiclips. Mostly, I synced them with Timecode and things looked great. Sometimes I had to do it visually, but not often.

Then we discovered that markers made on a multiclip in the viewer would disappear when either of the individual frames was selected!

THEN we discovered that most (but not all) of the multiclips have gone wildly out of sync! I'm not sure what to do now, because most of these multiclips are in the cut. I feel it's too late to go back and fix them when the same thing might just happen again! Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice on what to do?
April 23, 2008 01:42AM
REad this by Steve Martin

[www.kenstone.net]

Are all of you doing exactly what he instructs here? There are a couple gotchas. In any event we ought to try and nail this down and call it a bug or no.

To be honest, about now I'd avoid mutilclips if its a 2 cam edit. Just do it the old fashioned way.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 23, 2008 10:18AM
my experience with multiclips on a feature (FCP 5.11) indicated that syncing by TC was more prone to certain errors than syncing by in-point.
(there weren't the errors you're getting, but i thought i'd mention it anyway)

i've heard that FCP6 is a bit WORSE at dealing with multiuclips than FCP5,
although this is anecdotal for me as i haven't used multis myself in FCP6

a feature being done here actually migrated back to FCP5 while still shooting, they were having so many problems with multis going wrong.
(they were also using subclips in their multis against all advice, so while that may not have had anything to do with it, my bet is it didn't help)

we DID get some sync problmes with our multis on the job i was on,
and it SEEMED to happen when there was a reconnect involved.
we didnt always get the probelm wneh we reconected, but the time we DID get it, re-conecting was involved.
i've heard of this happening to people on FCP6 when reconnecting.

the terrible thing is i've never heard of a work-around.

oh, there's one, and it's more a way of avoidng the problem:
avoid reconecting by having EXACTLY the same file path on any secondry drives you need to use,
and ALSO give the drives the same name.
FCP will be fooled into thinking it's the same drive, so no reconecting will be required.

weirdly,
once you are connected, you can change the drive name if you need to.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics