quicktime white screen

Posted by Mark19 
quicktime white screen
January 15, 2008 06:45PM
does anyone know what app I am suppose to download? below is the desktop snapshot of the prompt.

...ok, how do i link a picture file to this post?

www.markdavid.tv
Re: quicktime white screen
January 15, 2008 07:00PM
January 15, 2008 07:10PM
thank you Jude!

[s253.photobucket.com]

www.markdavid.tv
January 15, 2008 07:10PM
When I've run into the white screen of death, it meant that quicktime didn't have the right codec to play back the file. Long story short, the codec I needed wasn't available any more, so I had to pilfer the codecs off the machine that created the problematic quicktime.

And now that your screenshot is posted, that's exactly what your problem is. Try a cmd-I to get info, and see how that quicktime file is encoded. It's the "format" line on the info window.
January 15, 2008 07:24PM
Its an avi file that came out of Maya. I forget how you get the properties of a file on the desktop, shift command J or something?

I'm not seeing the format line in the file in info.

[s253.photobucket.com]

www.markdavid.tv
January 15, 2008 07:35PM
Open the file in Quicktime. Hit continue after the error. Hit CMD+I to open the Inspector. The codec will be listed under Format.

Andy
January 15, 2008 07:40PM
ok, thank you Andy!

[s253.photobucket.com]

"I had to pilfer the codecs off the machine that created the problematic quicktime. "

thats a process I have never gone through. this is documents or something?

thank you guys!

www.markdavid.tv
January 15, 2008 07:48PM
I've never heard of that codec. Tell your Maya guy to stop jerking you around and give you the graphic in Animation codec. eye rolling smiley

I swear, if I had a nickel for every time a graphics guy didn't think about the format he/she was outputting...
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

andy
January 15, 2008 07:50PM
I'd never gone through it either, until I was up a tree.

First, check the format in the quicktime inspector like Andy suggested. Sometimes you can get lucky with a google-hunt and find a download of the codec on the internet. I'm not too familiar with Maya, but a lot of manufacturers will offer their codecs free of charge. I know that AVID and Blackmagic do.

If the codec isn't available, you'll have to go back to the machine that generated the problem quicktime. On that machine, navigate to the home folder\library\quicktime.

Those are the codecs there. Copy those, then go to the same folder on your machine and create a backup copy of your codecs & put them in a well-labelled folder. (If you don't, you'll regret it, take it from me.)

Once you've backed up your codecs, place the new codecs in there and re-boot. Now you should be able to see your footage. At this point, I usually do a media manage and convert the footage to a more conventional codec (like Apple pro-res, or something that will run without problems with your original codec set). Then I'll swap out the new codecs for my original set, re-boot, and carry on.

Jeff

PS - Andy is right... it's probably far easier for your graphics person to re-output the footage in a sensible codec, like animation.
January 15, 2008 07:59PM
ah, and there is the rub... the artist is working on a PC. dude... you got a dell alright.

there was a jpeg option he showed me in the drop down from within Maya. Its also a very small file, things just seem a bit off with this gig. I don't think they are use to production.

the VO audio aiff is 10MB, and the animation, which is only 6 sec is only 3.5 MB.

www.markdavid.tv
January 15, 2008 08:12PM
Unfortunately, I don't know Maya either, but the animation codec is not Mac specific. I have a hard time believing that that program can't output in a codec you can use. You're right, they probably aren't used to production.

Andy
January 15, 2008 08:24PM
yeah, I know right? Maya should play nice man!

www.markdavid.tv
January 15, 2008 08:33PM
im gonna go to Lynda.com and see if the Maya files have an export instruction file.

www.markdavid.tv
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics