16:9 footage not being captured as 16:9

Posted by 7surfer 
16:9 footage not being captured as 16:9
June 09, 2009 01:44PM
Hello

I caputured some footage using a Sony PD170 camera using the 16:9 setting. I'm now trying to capture the footage as 16:9 in FCP, I changed both the capture settings and sequence settings to DV NTSC Anamorphic. However, the footage or clips I've captured are not displaying the 16:9 effect in either the Viewer and Canvas. Any suggestions.

Thanks
Re: 16:9 footage not being captured as 16:9
June 09, 2009 02:42PM
I'm not sure but check if the 170 shoots 16:9 with a hard matt-- in which case you'd actually supposed to capture classic 4:3. If you find a menu choice for "squeeze" during shooting your FCP selections should work.

My A1U shoots true anamorphic so your settings would be correct for that. It's odd that they wouldn't on that Sony, so it may be something else entirely.

Try capturing a short clip as 4:3 NTSC, see what happens.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Cycle Image to Image & Wireframe to Wireframe with W !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 10, 2009 07:10AM
I shoot with the PD170 and it shoots true anamorphic. I have no idea why you're experiencing this problem? Try using the Firewire cable to digitize. FCP will recognize the camera and automatically change your ingest settings.

It shouldn't matter if you digitize 4:3 or 4:3 with a "squeeze" setting, 16:9 anamorphic is basically 4:3. Just to make sure, perhaps you need to check the anamorphic column in your browser? It's not immediately obvious and it's buried deep in the columns on the right. If you lay a 4:3 shot into an anamorphic sequence it doesn't automatically "un-squeeze" it.

Good luck.
June 10, 2009 07:23AM

I shoot with the PD170 and it shoots true anamorphic

Actually the PD170 doesn't shoot true anamorphic it crops the sensor like the PD150 and stretches the image which reduces quality.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 10, 2009 08:24AM
I think we're getting into semantics here. Can we all agree that the 170 records an anamorphically encoded image, and thus footage should come into Final Cut as anamorphic?

June 10, 2009 12:24PM
It should come in anamorphic yes.

Do it manually - shoe the clips in the list view - scroll along til you get to the anamorphic column then make sure anamorphic is ticked for the clip and the sequence you are viewing in the canvas.

If they aren't ticked - tick them by pressing the left mouse button in the column in line with the clip you want anamorphic.

On a side note - For future use you would be better getting an anamorphic lens adaptor for the PD170 and shooting in 4:3 then you'll get a better quality full resolution SD Anamorphic image.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 10, 2009 12:32PM
I actually think the explanation may be simpler than what's been suggested.

If you shot SD anamorphic 16:9, there is no way to "not capture as anamorphic". The image is going to be stretched no matter what, because that's what's on the tape. The FCP 16:9 flag only determines how FCP displays and treats the image.

If the clip was shot anamorphic 16:9, and flagged as such correctly (whether in Capture Presets or applied afterwords in the Browser as Ben outlined), the Viewer will automatically adjust the display of the clip so it shows in the correct intended proportions, 16:9 aspect ratio, no black bars. I'm guessing that's what he's seeing when he says "no anamorphic effect". Same for the Canvas, if the clip is edited in a Sequence set to anamorphic 16:9. The Canvas will not show the image as stretched, or show letterbox bars; it will simply show a wide frame with no distortion.

So my initial theory would be that he's trying to chase down an issue that doesn't exist.

Watch on an external monitor or TV and you'll probably see the "anamorphic effect" you're missing. Read this:

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
June 11, 2009 12:14AM
I deleted preferences in FCP and all seems to be fine now. But, the footage was captured in anamorphic on the 170 and I still had to click on the column in the browser, even though the capture preset setting (anamorphic) didn't result in the footage being stretched. Thanks all.
June 11, 2009 04:42AM
You're welcome.

Check that your easy setup is working correctly by logging a clip and checking it in the browser for the anamorphic tag. You can do this without capturing just as an offline clip to save time.

If it is still causing an issue and not flagging anamorphic properly then create your own easy setup.

June 11, 2009 04:26PM
Ben,
As soon as I sent that message I knew I'd hear from someone about it. Thanks for the info. Obviously I meant it shoots an anamorphic image, not letterboxed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics