How to prepare spots for Broadcast

Posted by shelleyrae 
How to prepare spots for Broadcast
January 17, 2010 10:19AM
Hi Everyone,

For the last few years, most of my work has been for internet use.

But now I'm bidding on three :30 TV spots that will air locally. The footage will be shot in DV high def and I would finish it in Final Cut. I know I need to make sure everything is title and action safe and check the broadcast safe levels, but is there anything else I should know before I start? Years ago, when I used to do broadcast, most stations wanted a digital beta master. What is the common delivery formats for broadcast these days?

Thanks
Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: How to prepare spots for Broadcast
January 17, 2010 10:30AM
> The footage will be shot in DV high def

There's no such thing as "high-def DV". DV is standard-def, by definition. First thing you'll need to do is figure out your formats, do the homework, match your choices to the clients' expectations. Make sure you're watching all your material on a broadcast monitor.

> Years ago, when I used to do broadcast, most stations wanted a digital beta master. What is
> the common delivery formats for broadcast these days?

It's a common misperception that there's a "standard" set of deliverables. You never assume what you have to deliver by asking other people. You ask the client, and/or check with the stations actually taking the delivery. Some local stations still only take Betacam SP, for example.

A DigiBeta master is a reasonably safe bet as a broadcast master, but it's no longer the be-all-end-all. For example, if you are shooting in HD, then even if the client doesn't ask for it, you should count on producing an HD master for archival purposes Because clients often come back three weeks after delivery and say, "Oh, wouldn't it be nice to get this in high-def?" or "I put the clip on the internet, why does it look so crap/why is it so small?" And while an HD master can be a movie file, I don't consider it a safe master unless it's on tape. Then you make a DigiBeta, standard-def master from the HD master.

www.derekmok.com
January 17, 2010 12:35PM
Shelley,

You probably mean HDV as there is no Hi Def DV.

You are gonna have to contact whomever is receiving the deliverables and ask them what format they accept...and believe me...you better follow those specs to the letter. I did a spot for CBS a while back and it was kicked back for titles being a fraction of a few pixels out of centercut titlesafe and video levels were slightly hot. I learned my lesson that day - never happened again.
I know CBS takes 1080i / 29.97 / ProRes HQ as that is how I delivered...but you will most definitely have to contact the final Broadcaster yourself to get their spec sheet.

I suggest downloading and installing Andy's Plug-Ins (free) as there is a tremendously helpful "Guides" plug that I use all the time for centercut titlesafe grafix:

[web.mac.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 17, 2010 10:25PM
>it was kicked back for titles being a fraction of a few pixels out of centercut titlesafe

I heard about that. Apparently HD graphics meant more background space.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 17, 2010 10:35PM
More and more often we have to avoid areas where they put the network ID bug. Or the lower third show promos. And yes, I too rely HEAVILY on Andy's guides to make sure we are safe.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics