Create 25fps DVD from 12fps movie

Posted by Danqi 
Create 25fps DVD from 12fps movie
September 30, 2010 10:55AM
This stuff has surely been covered many times, and I did search. But unfortunately I just managed to confuse myself....

What is the most elegant and simple way to create a 25fps PAL DVD from a 12fps project? I have never used Cinemal Tools (I don't even have it installed). Can I do this using Compressor? I really don't want to interpolate frames, but I have no problems with a slight speed change. The music has to stay in sync though.

I am using FCP 6.0.6 and Compressor 3.0.5. Oh, and in case you wonder how I created a 12fps timeline: I created a new sequence, exported an .xml file, edited the frame rate in a text editor, then re-imported it into FCP. Has worked great so far. Why 12fps? It's a stop motion project.

Thanks!
Re: Create 25fps DVD from 12fps movie
September 30, 2010 11:44AM
Do you really need a 25fps PAL DVD? Most PAL players are NTSC compatible.

This is what I will try do:

Get the movie out as 23.976 fps, which will be compatible on both PAL and NTSC DVD players.

1. First, if your movie is not already, make sure you convert it to an I-frame only codec such as Animation and that key frames are set to "off".

2. Duplicate frames with the JES Deinterlacer. Select "Standards Conversion" and check "telecine", and set your frame rate to 24fps. Then output to ProRes under Quicktime export. You may need to do a few tests to get your settings right (especially the gamma and crop settings).

[www.xs4all.nl]

3. Conform to 23.976 in either Compressor or Cinema Tools. Sync the audio to the clip, and select "so source frames play at 23.976" in Compressor, or use Cinema Tools to conform to 23.976.

4. Burn a DVD like you normally would.

You may be able to skip step three and telecine it straight to 23.976, but I cannot be sure if you will stay in sync, hence step 3.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics