adding multiple transitions at once

Posted by stefangs 
adding multiple transitions at once
March 31, 2011 07:07AM
hi all,

when i create a rough edit by dragging a bunch of clips from the browser to the timeline, can i apply the default transition to all of them at once too? right now i have a case where it would be quicker to do that and delete the transition where i don't want it instead of the other way round.

thanks,
stefan

--
macpro 2x3 ghz dual core intel, 10.6.8, FCS 2
Re: adding multiple transitions at once
March 31, 2011 08:11AM
Select all the clips in the timeline and drag the transition onto it. Can't remember if it works that way as I'm not on fcp7 right now.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 31, 2011 08:48AM
Dragging or applying through the effects menu both work. Drag to the middle of a clip though, not a transition point. You'll see the clips change from brown to blue when you're in the right place to drop to all to all edits.

March 31, 2011 09:35AM
If you already know you want the transition, drag the clips to the Canvas and drop them onto "Overwrite with Transition" or "Insert with Transition". I find it an inefficient way to edit, though. You end up filling the timeline with a lot more junk than you need. Without In-Out points on the clips, the transitions will also be screwed up -- probably one frame long each, because the clips won't have handles. And if you're going to add In-Out points one by one, you might as well edit them in one by one.

www.derekmok.com
March 31, 2011 03:48PM
thanks guys for the speedy replies!

stefan

--
March 31, 2011 04:15PM
and don't forget...

Apple T to add a transition on selected clips.
(oh, allright... Command T is the correct term, but Command and Control sound too similar for me)

Option Command T adds Audio Transitions

i have to admit that these keyboard shortcuts have got me into trouble lately.

used to be that it would simply add a Trans to the edit you were PARKED on (not actually selected),
and it still does.
but now it adds a transition to the entire SELECTION.

there have been times when i've had an in or out point on my timeline that defined a huge chunk as the selection,
and in that case the short-cut has added a transition ALL edits within that selection.

oh, well...
the lesson is to actually SELECT the edit point before using Command T or Command Option T.

nick
March 31, 2011 07:05PM
Oh joy - I didn't even think about the apple option t working on all cuts at once now. That's gonna save me so much work next week on a show where I used to have to add a crossfade to almost every cut.

April 01, 2011 02:15AM
excellent, thank you!

stefan

--
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics