Final Cut Pro X - still Pro

Posted by Alex4D 
Re: Final Cut Pro X - still Pro
June 01, 2011 02:30PM

AE can make a proper 60p -> 60i conversion by just discarding the unused lines

It is not "proper" 60p if it is converted...

...and you certainly wouldn't want to throw away half the vertical resolution!

Blending the fields is the best option for Interlaced to Progressive but is not as great as doing progressive from the outset.

FCP handles fields correctly and if you view the canvas at 100% you can see the fields (over movement) as two distinct alternating combed pictures like "venetian-blinds".

Viewing field by field is useful for old analogue recordings or non TC synced sources or standards converted material where action or a cut might exist between fields. However if your workflow does not contain one of the above its is hardly ever useful.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 01, 2011 02:50PM
dcouzin
s anyone heard, or can anyone predict, how FCP-X will handle video fields?

To answer your question though, if there are people out there that have heard, they can't answer due to NDF agreements with Apple. No one can make any kind of useful prediction because other than the people under NDFs the only look anyone has had was at the SuperMeet.

Apparently judging from the hyperbole here on LAFCPUG, what they showed at the SuperMeet was a system that only monkeys with robot hands would be able to use after passing tests on their knowledge of Apple's stock price, what Steve Jobs had for dinner in the past week, and clairvoyant knowledge of Adobe's CS7.2, where the pictures are made from banana peels, Mr. Fusion style.
But I digress, dcouzin you'll have to wait for FCPX to be in your virtual hands before that question will be answered and then you'll have to test it with your set up (AJA or BM? PCIe or GPU?)

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
June 02, 2011 01:36AM
Oh, no, video fields no longer exist. They go with tape media, you see.

[What the green heck you talking about, Floyd?]

Oh, I'm very sorry, Sheriff Andy...I was in a parallel universe.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Temporarily mix down audio tracks with Command-Option - R !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 02, 2011 09:12AM

Has anyone heard, or can anyone predict, how FCP-X will handle video fields? Fields have been a weakness in FCP. Avid lets you view fields; FCP does not. AE can make a proper 60p -> 60i conversion by just discarding the unused lines; FCP makes an artifacted mess of it. Proper handling of video fields was at the top of my wish list for FCP revision

Pretty sure no one who has heard is allowed to tell at this point ... and predictions are somewhat like opinions ... but that said, better field handling has long been requested feature so if they wanted to then now would seem to be the time. Fwiw tho, Compressor seems to handle 60p/50p conversion for 60i/50i output, if that helps.

... but Apple didn't ask me.

Don't let that stop you, tell them anyway, it's never too late.

ps Bwahhahhahahah.
June 02, 2011 12:21PM
Oh no. You never discard the unused lines. If you do that, you get an image that is half height. For deinterlacing, you need to interpolated the missing field after you discard a field or you duplicate the remaining field.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 02, 2011 07:29PM
>>Bump ... <<

Tsk. You evil monkey.

June 03, 2011 10:58AM
Wait a minute, what's all this about a new version of Final Cut Pro?

...and it isn't going to be called Final Cut Pro 8?
June 03, 2011 11:02AM
Apple, since OS X came out, discovered that X was the new 8. Get on with the program- 5, 6, 7, X, X.1, X.2, X.3...

www.strypesinpost.com
June 03, 2011 11:16AM
Start a campaign Alex smiling smiley Me and Jude prefer "Final Cut Pro Pony."

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 03, 2011 11:17AM
Will it grow over the next ten years to become a Final Cut Pro Stallion?
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
June 03, 2011 12:04PM
That could be a good thing. Just look how many great developments have happened to the competing NLE that had a galloping horse on the cover box.

[elainemontoya.me]
June 03, 2011 01:30PM
Wow, what a waste of time. Sorry I followed that link.
Looks like the "Elaine Montoya" blog is written by Adobe marketing people.
Full of inaccuracies, over-enthusiastic hype. Entry after entry praising Adobe products.

Title of blog entry "The Age Old Debate: Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro"
What??? There is no age old debate. Until fairly recently Premier wasn't any competition for FCP, or Avid or
just about anything else.

I've got nothing against Adobe since I use their products every day, but sometime marketing people
just don't know when to stop.

And you know what, as someone who used Media 100 back in the 90's, along with Media Composer, Lightworks,
EMC, Turbo Cube and plenty of old fashioned online bays, please do not reference Media 100 as qualification to give
"expert" advice on anything.
June 03, 2011 02:23PM
The link was to the illustration of the horse on the over of Premiere, which was the topic of the messages preceding mine. Sorry I didnt clarify that in the text before the link!
June 04, 2011 08:58AM
We're talking reinterlacing here tho Gerard, not deinterlacing ... so for double frame rate progressive to standard frame rate interlaced conversions, throwing away an (alternate) field for every frame would be the right way to go.
June 07, 2011 12:45AM
Version 1.0 = Final Cut Gelding.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Temporarily mix down audio tracks with Command-Option - R !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 07, 2011 02:44AM
Sprocketz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, what a waste of time. Sorry I followed that
> link.
> Looks like the "Elaine Montoya" blog is written by
> Adobe marketing people.
> Full of inaccuracies, over-enthusiastic hype.
> Entry after entry praising Adobe products.

That is Elaine Montoya's blog. She's an Adobe Certified Instructor and definitely not a marketing person. She's an editor and motion graphics pro, probably a lot like you. I'm sorry you feel it was a waste of your time. I admit that she's pretty pumped about Premiere Pro over FCP. No need to take offense, though. If she's getting workflow wins, who could knock that?

> Until fairly
> recently Premier wasn't any competition for FCP,
> or Avid or
> just about anything else.

Yeah, but it's pretty sweet now, totally rewritten in 64 bit/Grand Central Dispatch in CS5. By the way, it's called Premiere Pro now. Totally different app than you may be thinking of. You might try downloading the 30 day free trial for the Master Collection CS5.5. Do that and you can check out how cool Premiere Pro integrates with Photoshop and especially After Effects. You're an After Effects guy, right? thumbs down

Most of the article is Elaine's opinion on why she prefers to use Premiere Pro. No need to read into it more seriously than that. It really does have insane performance, works with any format natively and has great integration with the other apps in the Master Collection. As a former FCP author, trainer, and founder of SF Cutters, I'm telling you that her feeling is genuine. I think it's awesome too, and I'm not just saying that because I work at Adobe now. winking smiley

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
June 07, 2011 06:20AM
IBC ORG
IBC Certified Training Programme

Thursday 8 - Monday 12 September 2011 - Register now for dicount prices

The pace of innovation and upgrades in tools for digital content creation means that what may be a best practice one day may be superseded the next. That?s why we have devised the IBC Certified Training Programme, enabling you to keep pace and get one step beyond your rivals.

The IBC Certified Training Programme, brought to you by FMC and their world renowned team of certified instructors, will be hosted on-site at the RAI Amsterdam during IBC2011. The programme is designed for intermediate to advanced production and post-production professionals in TV, video, film, motion graphics and new media. Specially designed courses covering everything from workflow, through creative features, to troubleshooting and output will put you at the top of your game and prepare you for onsite exam certification in leading Apple and Avid software.

The programme consists of:

two-day course ?Editing with Final Cut Studio? featuring intensive sessions spanning FCP, Motion and Colour, as well as a thorough understanding of the new FCP X

two-day ?Avid Editing Workshop? containing packed sessions focused on sophisticated editing with Media Composer alongside media management, effects and composites creation and output

a single day 6-session ?Adobe Production Premium? course, which will maximise the creativity and efficiency of attendees using After Effects, Premiere Pro and Photoshop for editing, graphics and workflow.
Packed with powerful tips and techniques to inspire and invigorate these cutting-edge sessions will arm you with the latest tools and practical advice that you can apply to your next project while increasing your own marketability.
[www.ibc.org]
[www.fmceurope.com]

So a good reason to travel to Amsterdam and buy tickets for the Supermeet from Mike smiling smiley

Andreas
June 07, 2011 10:40AM
FCP X is a Gemini! (Big Smirk mode on)

Steve Douglas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The date that I heard was June 11th. Who knows if
> it is accurate or not but in todays paper it said
> the Steve Jobs would be showing off Lion this
> coming weekend.
> Steve
June 07, 2011 11:39AM
One thing I will say about Adobe. At least they bend over backwards to communicate not only with their 'Influencers and press people' but with the general public as well. Apple does the complete opposite. Think of how many Apple products are sold enriching the company because of the lafcpug and kenstone site as well as others like it. But does Apple communicate with the people who contribute either through the forums or through articles and such? Nope. What of the many 3rd party plug in companies who, in their own way, also contribute to the buying of Apple products, they get no communication or respect from Apple either.
I am a Mac person, always will be but their PR absolutely sucks.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
June 07, 2011 11:54AM
Nothing wrong with the PR. It gets them in the rags and on air pretty much every day. It's the fear and loathing and paranoia stalking the halls that make it a truly infinite loop, inward-looking, egocentric, arrogant, and a generally odious place, and that shows in its dealing with the punters that buy their products.

All the best,

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics