How to choose language menu

Posted by Nicke Wikman 
How to choose language menu
August 22, 2005 09:13AM
I have a project, made up in Swedish. Now, I'd like to create an English version.

This seems to be done quite easily using DVDSP3.

I have about 80 video clips in my project.

Each button that plays a Track, links to a script that sets GPRM0 to a specific value.

For the Title and Menu button and for each Tracks End Jump, I have a script called Jump to menu:

if GPRM0 = 42 Jump Menu1:Button3
if GPRM0 = 52 Jump Menu3:Button6

and so on. (I tried to use GPRM based buttons, but it did not work).
The last line of Jump to menu 1 jumps to Jump to Menu 2, that looks the same, although different values and jumps. :-)

All the Tracks are subtitled in Swedish (and I have a special menu for selecting subtitle language or no language).

The audio will not be altered (i.e. set to a specific language) since there's only Swedish audio in the video clips. English viewers will have to do with English subtitles and menus/buttons.

So far, I have added English menus to my project (and right now I'm just translating the buttons and replacing menu graphics).

But - the manual says that the choice between Swedish and English menus are done by reading SPRM0. No good - I can't rely on the user setting up the DVD player correctly.

What should I do? I would of course present a menu as First Play, where the user selects either Swedish or English, then jumps to the first menu.

Then the Title and Menu must be set differently for the disc PI, right? How?
Re: How to choose language menu
August 22, 2005 11:05AM
The use of ANGLES in DVD production is just what you need to switch between the same video content and different audio files.

It is chosen from the remote control during playback.
The video and audio in the Tracks are just the same.

I only want to view different menus and subtitles in the Tracks, depending on which language the user have choosen.
August 23, 2005 09:53AM
Are you presenting a Main menu with two language choices?

Try explaining your requirements a little differently:

Tell us about menus and tracks and which connect to which. Leave out the scripting for the moment and let's see if there is a slick way to accomplish this without scripting.

First Play -> MainMenu ->Engilshbutton-> Track One ->EndJump ->Main Menu
OR
First Play -> MainMenu ->Swedishbutton-> Track One/with subtitles enabled ->EndJump ->SubMenu???
No, not yet.

That menu would obviously be my First Play, then, depending on which language choosen, the user jumps to either Title menu (english) or Title menu (Swedish).

The project in Swedish are already mostly finished and works well, I just want to add English menus, that uses the very same assets and scripting.

The only difference is which menu(s) are shown to the user.

The subtitle menu are the same for both languages, I'll simply set GPRM7 to a value depending on if the user chooses English or Swedish for subtitles (and GPRM7 to 0 if the user choose No subtitles).

Is there any way I can upload the DVDSP3 project file, and can it be analyzed without assets?

Might be easier to look into the project file...
My project is currently made up like this:

FP = Title menu:

1 buttons that plays a Track, 5 buttons that links to other menus.

One of the menus is Subtitle menu.

The other 4 menus either have buttons that play Tracks, or buttons that link to another submenu, which has buttons to play Tracks.

Hope this clarifys things a little...?
August 24, 2005 09:25AM
I don't understand why you need so many submenus to play either a track with narration or a track with the same narration and subtitles?

It seems to me that you are intent on making this a complex navigation and involking scripting when it is not clear to me that either are necessary.

As far as sending/receiving a project file by email - without the media it is not possible to see the connections as you do.

Let me ask - how may DVD's have you authored to date? Have you successfully implemented scripting in any of them?

Finally, I am sorry if I am just not understanding your intentions.
Mikael Fredriksson
August 24, 2005 09:42AM
Hej!

Here is a link to a tutorial by Graeme Nattress

A Solution to Multiple Language Video in DVD Studio Pro
[www.lafcpug.org]

Other online tutorials for FCP/DVDSP
[www.lafcpug.org]
[www.editorsbin.com]
[www.kenstone.net]
My scripting is working just fine.

I do not wish to alter the Track content - it will be identical for both English and Swedish version.

But I must - of course - have different menus for each language.

And I use submenus, simply to arrange all my 80+ Tracks and making navigation easy.

There's no narration, just video and audio. The only thing that is different is that the viewer will choose English subtitles (or no subtitles at all).

Not sure why this is so hard to understand:

I have a project in Swedish. I wish to make the project both Swedish and English. Using the Language selection in DVSP solves this - but it relias on the set-up of the DVD-player. I cannot assume that the DVD player is set up correctly. The easisest way would be to actually set the SPRM0 to the right value, then making DVDSP show either the Swedish menu(s) or the English menu(s).
August 28, 2005 02:20AM
Nicke:
As far as I know, SPRM0 is a read-only parameter. it does makes sense that they don't let you modify something the user chose. That setting would remain changed after the user finishes using your disc and that doesn't seem fair, does it?

Also, you have of course every right to try your way, but bear in mind that you wouldn't really be relying on the user setting the player. I bet 99 per cent of the players in a country like Sweden will surely come with Swedish as the menu language. I could be wrong, but that usually is the case in countries where electronics brands have an official presence. If the user changed that, then it's because he wanted to change it. The exception to this are countries where black market import players are a majority.
If you want the user to change the menu language from a menu, then I'm afrad you'll have to skip the DVD SP language settings and basically build the whole thing twice, with pre-scripts (or perhaps display conditions) that choose which menu to display according to the original choice.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
August 28, 2005 11:32AM
I just don´t undersatnd the problem here.
Are you trying to have a menu that let´s the viewer select the language for the menus or to select the subtitles?

P.S. Are you from Sweden? I am.

Dodo
(Sweden)
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics