Motion or After Effects for a novice?

Posted by Phil UK 
Motion or After Effects for a novice?
January 22, 2009 03:55AM
I have been editing for nearly eight years or so, most of that time on FCP. Throughout my working life as an editor I've very much wanted to learn a motion graphics package - have posted various questions and I am still at square one - do I go for Motion or After effects? What put me off After Effects is having to purchase a plethora of plug ins. I am not a seasoned graphic artist but have a serious interest. I am also not the sharpest tool in the shed and find learning new software a big challenge. I want the easier option. What do you reckon?
Re: Motion or After Effects for a novice?
January 22, 2009 08:54AM
I am biased, but you already have Motion, it's well integrated with FCP, is easier to learn, and has a huge library of content. You can get a bunch of free tips at my site applemotion.net to get started.
January 22, 2009 09:48AM
That's what I wanted to hear. I skipped some of the Motion content when I installed FCP 6 upgrade - is that a problem? I want clean fonts and some graphical bells and whistles. Cheers Phil
February 23, 2009 03:15PM
You should install Motion's additional content. Lots of elements to play with and the templates are a great way to start learning some useful techniques.

Motion is a great design tool and in many ways much easier to learn than After Effects.
February 23, 2009 07:17PM
...but the control you have in After Effects is greater.

I love Motion...for certain things. I use Motion and all it's content as sort of a "plug-in" for After Effects. I create particle elements / animations in Motion with alpha channels that I composite in AE. In these examples, the smoke FX on Jimmie Johnson's spinout at the end of these videos was done in Motion. I brought it in to AE and composited it with an animated still of a birds eye render of JJ's car:

[kartracing.easports.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics