Adobe AfterEffect?

Posted by lcheadle 
Adobe AfterEffect?
July 15, 2006 09:22PM

@ 0:26 what is that freeze-frame effect? Is it Adobe AE?

Post Edited (07-15-06 19:23)
Re: Adobe AfterEffect?
July 15, 2006 10:01PM
Yes. That effect is the combination of After Effects and Photoshop...an effect used heavily in the film THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE...thus that is what the effect is called.

You export the still, duplicate it, cut out the subject, layer them in AE, and move the cut out more than the background. I do it all the time with stills actually. Very fun.

I should make a tutorial.
July 15, 2006 10:11PM
I have already written a tut. If there is ever a "tutorial area" posted up on the LAFCPUG forum, I will gladly post it up. I don't want to post any tutorials in threads and have them disappear forever into the archives. One of the things I dislike about this forum format...no "stickies" and new / responded threads don't get bumped to the top.

Mike...let me know if you ever develop a Tutorial Section (along with a "General Discussion" section winking smiley )

- Joey

Post Edited (07-15-06 20:15)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 15, 2006 10:35PM
Thank you guys for the responses.
I'm itching to pull off effects like that.
My next step would be to purchase Adobe Photoshop & AE, right?
Is there a particular software bundle or alternatives to Adobe I should look at before spending all that money?
July 15, 2006 10:52PM
hey, Joey.
that'd be the lafcpug tutorials page:

[www.lafcpug.org]

so you see, when you write your tutorials, you WILL become famous!

nick
July 15, 2006 10:58PM
...how about a "Click Here for After Effects tutorials" link?

July 15, 2006 11:15PM
Ah...good Joe...nice to know that you already have a tutorial.

Hmmm...you might be able to just get away with this using Photoshop and FCP. YOu need photoshop to cut out the image, but you can keyframe a second layer in FCP just fine.
July 15, 2006 11:28PM
Shane,

You may "get away with it", but you can't put moves on layers like this:

[www.digidojo.net]

- Joey

Post Edited (07-15-06 21:40)

July 15, 2006 11:51PM
I suck at HTML (trying to make some plain text into a link to my movie).

BTW...Parenting has nothing to do with this move. You won't believe how easy it is once you do the hard part...which is cutting out & painting the layers.

- Joey

July 16, 2006 05:42PM
That's what kenstone.net is for. Loaded with tutorials. Contact him (he hangs around here a lot)
July 16, 2006 06:12PM
Hi John,

True ... I do hang out here. (g)

--ken
July 16, 2006 07:28PM
Yeah...when ya got ken stone, why do ya need anyone else's stinky old tutorials anyhoo? winking smiley

FWIW...I didn't see any AE tuts on there.

July 16, 2006 09:22PM
alright Joey, let us know how you did it....very impressive.....enough with the tease......I'm sure Ken would be glad to post your tutorial as would Mike.... Andy
July 16, 2006 09:28PM
Joey,

Yes I would and I'm sure that Mikle would like to have it too.

--ken
July 17, 2006 12:29AM
Ok, boyz...

Hopefully, someone will find this info useful. Here is a SUPER SIMPLIFIED Tutorial of how I do it - let's call it "boy standing on the beach":

? Photo is opened in Photoshop CS
? Duplicate the layer, double click the original and name it the "Original Pic" and lock it.
? Duplicate it again and carefully erase everything except the boy and save this layer as "BOY SEPERATED"
? Go back to the first dupe and using the "Rubber Stamp" tool... you are going to paint over the boy with the sampled beach image. Hit "OPTION" and sample the beach image then paint over the boy. Keep resampling in different areas to get a good blend. Feather the brush slightly. Save this layer as "RETOUCHED BKGD"
? Save the project as "boy_standing_on_the_beach.psd"
? Launch AE 7 Pro
? Import the "boy_standing_on_the_beach.psd" file as a comp (with layers in tact)
? Double-click the comp to open it in a timeline and turn on 3D for all layers.
? Hit COMMAND/OPTION/SHIFT/C to add a 3D camera to the timeline
? move the "BOY SEPERATED" layer -100 in Z-depth
? move the "RETOUCHED BKGD" layer 100 in Z-depth and increase it's SCALE to 125%
? This is the part you will have to experiment with. The camera move can be 2 keyframes - or it can be 20. Easiest way to start, drag the camera over a few marks to the left in X - click the stopwatch icon to set the first keyframe. Move your time marker (play head) down in the timeline and pull the camera in X to the right (a keyframe will be automatically generated).

That video "freeze frame effect" you asked about in your original post:

You can export the frame of video from either FCP or use a neat little-known trick I use a million times a day...open your clip in Quicktime Pro and open a new Photoshop project window together (the PS doc should to match your target output - like 720 x 480 for DV, 720 x 486 for SD, etc). Find your frame in QT Pro and while holding down the SHIFT key, "tear off" the frame and drag it into the open Photoshop window (it will be centered). All the same principals as my 2-layer tut apply except there is a keyframed blur effect (Fast Blur or Lens Blur works fine) added to the background layer and a Z-push animation on the Camera in AE (giving a "rack focus" effect).

As I mentioned, this is a SUPER-SIMPLIFIED tutorial with 2 layers. The clip I posted 6 posts up has 14 layers (a lot more intricate Photoshop cloning & painting). The easy part is the AE Camera work. This technique is guaranteed to add the "wow-factor" to any simple photo animation & make any project look like a million bucks.

Any questions? Post 'em up smiling smiley

- Joey

Post Edited (07-16-06 22:48)

Anonymous User
July 17, 2006 12:54AM
Very cool Joey. Now add some screen shots and a brief bio at bottom and we got our selves a TUT. You hold copyright and become world famous.

:-)

There are some good AE tuts over on Creative Cow and Creative Mac and here is a good list of AE tutorials around the web

[www.tutorialfind.com]

Anonymous User
July 17, 2006 12:56AM
grafixjoe wrote:

> ...how about a "Click Here for After Effects tutorials" link?

Cause we dont have any AE tutorials.
>

July 17, 2006 01:11AM
>>> Cause we dont have any AE tutorials. <<<

You do now winking smiley

I did not want to load up this thread with screenshots and have it disappear....besides, screenshots take up a lot of forum real estate.

Post Edited (07-16-06 23:14)

Anonymous User
July 17, 2006 01:18AM
No. You send me the text and and the screen shots seperatly via email. In the text you put "Put pict 1 here, put pict 2 here, etc. I code it and put it up in the tutorials section. I can even host the QT movie if you are afraid of bandwidth problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics